Sit or stand and grasp an E-Z bar with an overhand grip and arms vertical:
Inhale and bend the elbows to lower the bar
behind the head.
• Return to the initial position.
• Exhale at the end of the extension.
The vertical position of the arms strongly stretches the long head of the triceps brachii, emphasizing its contraction while working.
An overhand grip isolates the lateral head of the triceps brachii.
Contract the abdominal muscles and avoid arching the low back. If possible use a bench with support for the low back.
• Close grip seated E-Z bar triceps extensions – performed with a narrow grip on the E-Z bar to emphasize the outer head of the triceps
• Reverse grip seated E-Z bar triceps extensions – performed with an underhand grip on the E-Z bar to emphasize the inner head of the triceps
• Seated E-Z bar overhead extensions with a twist – performed with a twisting motion of the E-Z bar at the top of the extension to add an extra stretch to the triceps
• Seated E-Z bar skull crushers – performed with a slow and controlled descent of the bar towards the forehead to increase the time under tension of the triceps.